SAN GIORGIO HOTEL MYKONOS

Most striking feature:

The stunning design and the great story behind it. The owners of the San Giorgio Hotel, Thomas Heyne and Mario Hertel, are known for their popular Paradise Club on the island. From near and far dance lovers and DJ’s come there to get the party started. Within walking distance of the club, there was the old San Giorgio Hotel but it was an old hotel where ‘four of us slept in a tiny basement room’, says Thomas. What if they could turn that hotel in a new one? In 2012 they finally got a ‘yes’ and they had three months (!) to build the hotel into the San Giorgio Hotel that it is today. ‘That’s crazy’, said good friend Claus Sendlinger, owner of designhotels.com, ‘why don’t you first make a pop-up hotel by designhotel.com of it? Then you will have time to make everything perfect for next season.’ And so it happened. Together with interior designer Michael Schickinger they transformed the hotel into a new luxury resort. As Thomas says: ‘that does not mean you have a marble shower and that you have to dress like penguins because the new luxury lies in the experience. It’s not a souvenir you take home with you but something you can look back on for years.’

Despite the hotel looks extremely beautiful they didn’t have a big budget. So all the beautiful wooden tables at the pool area were bought somewhere along the road near Athens for 400 euro. The floor in the bathroom by the pool comes from a villa from 1809. And the driftwood is now used as a hanging system in the rooms. If I ask for the biggest compliment Thomas has ever got is that people feel at home. ‘They say: normally I need to unwind for four or five days but I’ve only been here for 12 hours and I already feel relaxed.’

I can confirm this out of my experience. Of course, you need to get rid of the hustle and bustle of home before you end up in the island rhythm but the hotel and the team will help you to get into that holiday rhythm quite fast. While I’m busy working out my schedule for renting a car, they take everything out of my hands and make sure the car is delivered to the hotel the next morning. The room is beautiful (and smells really good) and the bed is so cozy under the mosquito net with the best pillows ever you never want to get out of it anymore.

The area around the pool is perfect to work on your tan or read some magazines or books and if you order something to eat, you know it’s good. Take their breakfast: delicious Greek yogurt with honey and fruit and pancakes with banana. And after that, you can also walk to the buffet for a freshly baked apple pie. But above all it’s one of the most inspiring hotels I’ve ever been to every corner is decorated beautifully and that’s why I couldn’t stop taking pictures. From the hammocks on the balconies to the cushions in the breakfast room. And from the bamboo chairs in the lobby to the tables at the pool. A true recommendation!

Update 2018: Since the hotel is located next to popular beach clubs it can be very noisy at night. I’ve stayed here off-season so there weren’t any parties going on at that time, but my readers pointed out that it can be very noisy. My advice would be: stay here off-season and check the party schedule beforehand. Or check-in if you love to party too.

Check out: www.sangiorgio-mykonos.com

My trip was sponsored by Transavia

Transavia flies from Amsterdam to Mykonos on a charter base. Check a tour operator or travel agency for the best deals. You can book a direct flight from Paris to Mykonos with Transavia. Check their site for the best rates.

sangiorgiomykonosportrait

sangiorgiomykonosportrait1

sangiorgiomykonosportrait2

sangiorgiomykonosportrait3

sangiorgiomykonosportrait4

sangiorgiomykonosportrait5

11 Comments

• Emilie982

12.05.2014 at 11:32 Reply

Looks great ! Did you heard about the Boheme Mykonos Hotel ? http://www.bohememykonos.com/

It’s just opened and looks awesome too. I’m going there in July.

Have you tested some great restaurant when you were there ?

• Pauline Egge

12.05.2014 at 09:45 Reply

Thanks Emilie! I’ve heard about that hotel but my preference goes out to the San Giorgio Hotel. Have a lovely time in Mykonos! Have you seen my report on Jackie O Beach, that’s a beautiful place to go and ofcourse Alemagou as well – a bit hidden, but definitely worth to go. And in Mykonos Town you can go to Interni.

• Anna @ The Blonde Banana

12.05.2014 at 03:27 Reply

What a beautiful hotel! I love the swinging chairs (I’ve secretly always wanted one in my apartment).

• Tyler

12.05.2014 at 23:35 Reply

Beautiful photos Pauline! I am missing Greece already! It was so wonderful to meet you. – Tyler

• Pauline Egge

12.05.2014 at 09:41 Reply

Thank you Tyler! It was really nice meeting you too. How was Santorini? Hope you had a great time! x Pauline

• Nina

12.05.2014 at 20:45 Reply

Dear Pauline, I have one question regarding the San Giorgio Hotel. Looking at comments on various plattforms, guest did complain about the noise (two nightclubs near). I would love to go there but am a bit worried about that. Can you tell me your experience? Thank you! Nina

• Pauline Egge

12.05.2014 at 16:45 Reply

Hi Nina,

Thanks for your comment! I’ve stayed here in May last year, slept like a baby everyday and didn’t hear noise at all, and my room was close to the pool area where they played music and people were still chatting with eachother. Maybe it’s different in high season. If I was you I would ask them to book a more quiet room. It’s a beautiful holiday destination. I’m sure you will love it!

Best wishes, Pauline

• Ronald

12.05.2014 at 08:41 Reply

Hey hey, Pauline.

I was looking for a place to get away a few days. this looks like the perfect thing.
    You think you can reload your batteries here by staying 2/3 nights or is this little short ?
    And do you need a car or are there nice thing to do in area as well ?

Also i’m reading your review of the Scorpios Mykonos restaurant.
    Is it far from the hotel ? Can do it on foot ?

greetings

Ronald

• Gennaro Avallone

12.05.2014 at 19:25 Reply

Excellent choice of images and subjects. Come and see my studio, if you are in Milano !

• Nicky Duffy

12.05.2014 at 00:21 Reply

I stayed here middle of September. Whilst the hotel is lovely and staff great, the whole experience and the beautiful sea view is ruined by the banging music that starts at 4.30pm until at least4/5am, from one of the beach clubs. We had a lovely terrace with a hammock that was redundant because it was noise not even good tunes. For €550 a night stay elsewhere, Bill and Koo?? Beautiful quiet bay. Shame as I would go back but blighted by paradise bay clubs.

• Pauline Egge

12.05.2014 at 12:44 Reply

Hi Nicky, thank you for your comment and I’m really sorry to hear this. I’ve stayed here off season so there weren’t any parties going on. I can really imagine your disappointment. Especially if you’re paying that amount of money, but also since it’s your holiday and you want to relax. I will add Bill & Coo to my wish list for next time. Thank you for sharing so other readers know too. And I will add it to the text as well. Warm wishes, Pauline